1 cup raw sunflower seeds
3 cups water
2 tbsp raw agave (or other raw sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
1 dash salt
- Soak the seeds for 8-10 hours, changing the water out every 2-3 hours.
- Drain the seeds and remove as many of the hulls as possible. You will see that while the seeds soak, the hulls naturally separate and float to the top. Just take a spoon and scoop out, as best as you can. I say this because you won't be able to get every last one (unless you are incredible patient) so just get as many as you can.
- Add the seeds and the remainder of the ingredients to your food processor (we use a Ninja). Blend until everything is mixed well and as smooth as possible.
- Take your cheesecloth and drape it over a mason jar, then pour the liquid through it. When we did it, we had to pour it in 1/2 cup increments because it doesn't easily pour through the cloth. To get the most milk out of it, Serial would pour the 1/2 cup into the cheesecloth and then squeeze as much liquid out of it as possible. Then he would take the remaining pulp out of the cheesecloth and set it aside. He repeated this until he had filtered all of the milk through the cloth.
- Once we were done, we stored the milk in an airtight container in the fridge. Be sure to save your pulp too - it can be used in lots of recipes (click here for ideas).