Yields: 8-10 brownies
1 medium apple or 3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup agave or coconut nectar
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup whole wheat flour or almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1 egg (substitute 1 Tbsp ground flax for a vegan)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nut butter (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce (either homemade from the apple or purchased), agave, olive oil, egg, vanilla and baking powder.
- Melt the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and then stir in to the mixture.
- Mix in the flour and the remaining chocolate chips (I used a combination of white and dark chocolate)
- Grease your pan. I used a tiny bit of coconut oil in a 9x13 glass pan.
- Pour your batter into the pan. Add the nut butter to the batter after it's in the pan, if using nut butter. Then take a knife and swirl it into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving so they retain their shape. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Try not to eat them all at once. On second thought, these aren't bad for you and are less than 100 calories a serving. Go nuts.